Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Today Is My Birthday

Note: This is a reprise from this date last year. It's still my birthday, and BillyB's, and NTodd's and a whole host of other fine people. It's also still the anniversary of some horrendous events. And George W. Bush is still president. At least there's an end in site for that.


Today Is My Birthday


Yes, it is. August 6, 1946.

It's also Billy B's birthday, and that of the pantsless wonder, NTodd. I'm not sure in what year those two rascals entered the scene, but I'm reasonably certain it was at least a couple of decades later. I'm sure lots of other folks were born on this date as well, which I think is a good thing. I'm pleased to share my birthday with all of them.

What I'm not so pleased about, however, is some of the other things that happened on this date. On August 6, 1945 the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, thereby opening up the horror of the nuclear age. The use of nuclear weapons is still a serious threat, especially given the nature of the current resident of the White House.

More recently, and just as devastating, on August 6, 2001, President Bush was given a "PDB" from the intelligence people that was quite direct: Osama bin Ladin was determined to strike in the US. Mr. Bush chose to ignore it. He did nothing.

Slightly over a month later, on September 11, 2001, the threat identified by that PDB was carried out. Since then, everything that was decent and good about this country has been sullied, ripped to shreds, destroyed: the right to habeus corpus and to due process, the right to privacy implied in the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution, the tradition of adhering to the terms of treaties that we entered into with other nations, especially those that banned torture, and that's just the start of the list.

I'm not so certain as some of my fellow Atriots that the Bush cabal was directly involved in the 9/11/01 disaster, but I do know that same cabal has been using that event to justify each and every abuse of power since then.

And that whole chain of events began on August 6, 2001. My birthday, and Billy B's, and NTodd's.

I still intend to celebrate today, if only because no one has taken my birthday away, at least not yet. But the celebration will be a little muted, a bit more somber than it should be. And I really, really hate that.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger that one guy said...

Happy Birthday, Diane. May you have many more. Thanks for what you do!

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! My birthday falls on Inauguration Day, Jan. 20, and the good news is that Bush can't ruin another one!

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes happy birthdy to all you trouble-makers!

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home