Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday Poetry: Laura Oliver

On the Eve of Remembrance



Into Iraq I dare not go

Where there are bodies, row upon row

That line the streets; and in the sky

The larks, shot down, can no longer fly

Loud blasts shot from guns below.



We insult the dead, by roaming low

They lived, died, fought a true foe

Loved and were loved, and now we tromp

On Flanders fields.



Invent a reason to quarrel with a foe

To Bush, angry fists we throw

The torch of freedom and peace is nigh

If we only see the truth through the lie

We cannot sleep, because poppies stir

In Flanders fields



Laura Oliver on Nov. 10, 2004

(This poem was published at War Poetry.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Oliver said...

Ha! Just for fun, I googled my name today and I find my poem somewhere else...cool! Glad you liked it enough to re-post! Cheers!
Laura Oliver

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home