Thursday, April 03, 2008

Thursday Birdblogging




The rose-breasted Grosbeak is one bird that I have seen, but only on bird walks, not at home, in the East Coast. It's supposed to be 'common', but to birders I believe that means assuming you go looking for birds.

Cool Facts

* The Rose-breasted Grosbeak hybridizes with the Black-headed Grosbeak where their ranges overlap in the Great Plains. Hybrids can look like either parent species, or be intermediate in pattern, with various combinations of pink, orange, and black. Hybridization occurs most often where the densities of both species are low, and only rarely when densities are high.

* In areas of overlap with the Black-headed Grosbeak, male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks responded equally to songs of both species. When presented with mounted birds, however, they attacked the Rose-breasted Grosbeak mount more. The males directed their attacks primarily at the white rump and flanks of the model, suggesting that the white rump is a more important stimulus than the red chest.

* The nest of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak is so thinly constructed that eggs often can be seen from below through the nest.

* The male Rose-breasted Grosbeak participates in incubation of the eggs, accounting for about 1/3 of the time during the day (the female incubates over night). Both sexes sing quietly to each other when they exchange places. The male will sing his normal song while near or actually on the nest.


Picture from www.science.smith.edu

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger George A said...

Ruth,
If I may, I'd like to offer you a link to my bird pics:
picasaweb.google.com/gmontjr

6:55 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

thanks, George, I'll rob you of a few since it seems you are offering! great pics.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing I'm not a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

The next door neighbors would surely sue if they were subjected to my singing.
~

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe they were common, when I was a child I remember seeing them at the feeder (in NJ). Haven't seen one in decades, now.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Mr.Murder said...

A mated pair lived on the fence line bordering the church next door two years ago.

They'd sing as I walked the dog.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home