Saturday, June 14, 2008

Revisiting



Agave, Chisos Basin



Laughing gulls in Rockport TX.



Big Bend in distance


Sunrise in Chisos Basin

It's a privilege to serve. Now when does anyone hear that again - I have taken the great privilege this week and gone where I was able to live vicariously. Pics posted above, more later.

When I graduated from college I had been able to interview on Capital Hill and tho I don't know for sure I suspect that my parents' being Dixiecrats who went to their convention and voted for George Wallace, while I applied for a job with Sen.Ralph Yarborough who had just forever ended his career by voting in favor of civil rights -probably intrigued that office. I may be more extensive later, but for now I wish to tell you that being given the oversight of environmental affairs was the best and most rewarding thing that ever happened to me. The real power and wisdom in the office in legislative affairs was Richard Yarborough, the son of the Senator, a brilliant person who had been involved for decades in the senatorial affairs and who engineered the Cold War G.I. Bill of Rights that now we are re-establishing to give the benefits they earn to the Troops our war criminals now want to use to get money for their criminal activities.

There is a famous event - when asked if the Ivory billed woodpecker was extinct, a woodsman plopped down a woodpecker he had shot and said okay, see here they are - and when I heard this I told Dick Yarborough that we can get federal protections, then the aqents who can't enforce the protections they have, because they work with these backwoods fellas and want good relationships, can tell them it's out of their hands - and Dick said yes, that can work - and he had drafted a bill to give federal protection to the Ivory billed woodpecker. We got sponsors to the bill because it would give nothing to anyone, but in return the Senator would give support to bills they wanted votes for. We passed the bill and then went on to get a bill for federal protection for endangered species.

Visiting Big Bend and Padre Island has been an amazing experience for me. These are wonders the senator I worked for cared about, and preserved. This is something I am very aware is going to disappear if we keep in power the kind of war criminals we now have in office.

It is crucial we make the change back to public servants from abusers of power.

These pictures may help, and anyone who cares about this earth needs to realize that it will be destroyed if we can't elect those who care about it.

************************************************

Dunno what to make of this. I went to Marfa, TX to 'see the marfa lights'; I really went to make a trip to The Big Bend. So when I checked into the place where I was staying I said I wanted to go out and see the marfa lights, and the very nice manager told me more about them,and I drove out perfectly aware that they only occasionally occur and not really knowing what I was looking for. Actually I was thinking about aurora borealis - when I saw lights dancing overhead I tho't helicopters. I followed them, finally took a few pics - I tho't that driving out from Corpus/Padre Island for a whim,never hoppen. It seems I did see, and am loving it, but it's rather amazing - I saw the marfa lights. If the pics turn out will post. And the other pics are at least as extraterrestrial.

Jimmy Carter saw flying saucers, so I saw the marfa lights. Very unexpected.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger VforVirginia said...

Cool! So glad you had a good trip; thanks for sharing the pix. Hope the Marfa lights ones turn out.

Interesting reading about your experience in Sen. Yarborough's office, too!

12:25 PM  
Blogger that one guy said...

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. I never saw nothin' like that traveling across TX on I-10.

And thanks for your work protecting our wildlife.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

The pics of the Marfa lights were blank. Sorry.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home