Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Feed the Soul - Garden

Today, at Monkeyfister, June 9 entry, I got a very good idea. And I do have oyster mushroom spores in limbo, since I did all the drilling I could get through to plant them in my oak log mushroom farm. I pass on to you gardeners an excellent way to keep your garden soil rich.

Get a batch of mushroom spores. Then do as Monkeyfister says, and has done, and as I am about to go do.

In the meantime, they are really working wonders under the surface in my beds. I've not seen such vigorous plant health ever in my many days of gardening. Everything is doing great. The only real new addition to my usual soil mixture is the Mushrooms. I think it's obvious what a difference beneficial Mushrooms can make in your garden.

As MadSat reminds us-- Worms were IMPORTED to North America. Before worms, there were only the Fungi. But, speaking of worms...

Time to get out to a golf course, and harvest some Night-Crawlers from the greens. A public service to the greens keepers. Worms wreak havok on golf greens. After the evening watering, the Night-Crawlers tunnel up, leaving little piles on the greens, and then they crawl freely across that short, tender grass, leaving little grooves for a golf ball to pick up...

Need worms for your garden, or fishing bait? Go to the golf course-- to the greens. Be nice, and wear some golfing shoes, and try not to really walk into the greens-- the worms are coming out from the longer grass anyway... Oh, and put something red over your flashlight. Worms can't see red. If you walk slowly, and it's late enough, around 11pm or later, you should be able to just scoop them up off the grass. Otherwise, you have to sneak up on them, quickly, but gently grab them, and slowly pull, and coax them to let go of their hole. If you break one, don't keep it. Let it go. With this advice, you'll figure it out. Latex surgical gloves are good for the squeamish.

Worms and Mushrooms-- put them in your raised-bed gardens. For you row and tiller gardeners-- this isn't really for you. It'll be a waste of money and effort. You'll just grind the worms up, and kill the fungi. I'm not judging, that's just what happens when tiller meets dirt.


My fingers are itching for some dirt grubbing now. Be sure to follow the link, where you'll find great pictures as well.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous WarOnWarOff said...

Guess they wouldn't work in my staircase container garden. ;)

BTW, it's been doing quite well this year. Unfortunately, with the coming heat wave it's going to be a struggle now. *sigh*

Wish we could get some of that rain y'all have been getting!

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't be importing night crawlers into northern gardens; here in north Idaho for example, the little native worms (those that are native) can't compete with the voracious nightcrawlers which are predatory worms and will damage the garden as well as killing off the native fauna.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Julie, you can have the rain ... oh, okay, I am just tired of it. And still fighting the power outages

thanks, anon, to tell the truth I wasn't going to go out and grab any grubs myself.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home