Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Poetry: Ibrahim Nasrallah

Beginnings

When all the birds in the world flap their wings in unison
as one body, when the waters of springs and mountain streams
gather in a dusty palm,
when a human being runs
and trees and the hidden future follow him,
when the world becomes simple
and I can climb onto a table in the office of the daily news
and speak of your love to the elegant shuttered windows,
to the good and bad paintings on the walls,
when I am able to freely place a gentle kiss
on your cheek in public,
when I am able to return with you after midnight
without a police patrol desecrating our bodies
in search of a confession,
when we can run in the streets
without anyone pronouncing us crazy,
when I am able to sing
and share a stranger’s umbrella
and when she in turn may share my loaf of bread,
when you are able to say I love you
without fear of death or imprisonment
and I can open a window in the morning
without being silenced by a bullet,
when I am able to grow older
and the trees are added to your attire
and we can count the drops of rain on each other’s faces
and can sing and love free of weapons,
raids, chronic fear, and disappearances -
another world will begin,
a new homeland will have been readied.
But for now we announce a new beginning with our death,
a new beginning of love.

Ibrahim Nasrallah

1 Comments:

Anonymous michael scott said...

when the world becomes simple
and I can climb onto a table in the office of the daily news
and speak of your love to the elegant shuttered windows, ..

I have to thank you such an article...

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home