Monday, May 30, 2011

Freebies

I'm sorry, but I really am having some real fun watching the GOP race for the 2012 nomination. There's no race in my party, but even if there were, I doubt that it would have the comedic value I'm finding with the Republicans. Besides, the media's contortions in covering the race adds to the bizarre.

Here's a good example of what I mean in both respects. A Gallup Poll run May 20-24 was included in one of the political blogs at the Los Angeles Times. (The poll with analysis was published at the Gallup website.)

Mitt Romney 17%

Sarah Palin 15%

Ron Paul 10%

Newt Gingrich 9%

Herman Cain 8%

Tim Pawlenty 6%

Michele Bachmann 5%

Jon Huntsman 2%

Gary Johnson 2%

Rick Santorum 2%

Mike Huckabee 1% (Volunteered)

Other 2%

No Opinion 22%


Two things struck me when I looked at the chart. The second was that "No Opinion" still leads. Of course, that's not too surprising, given how early we really are in the race.

The first, and most obvious, was that Sarah Palin has leaped into second place behind Mitt Romney. Given the plus/minus 4% margin of error, that's pretty impressive, even though neither has formally declared their candidacy. Romney obviously will. Palin probably won't, although I can't justify ruling her out at this point.

So, why did Palin move into possible contention so quickly? A couple of reasons. Since the last poll, several potential contenders backed out: Trump, Daniels, and Huckabee lead that list. Next, at this point name recognition is a major factor in the kind of poll taken, and Sarah Palin has become very visible over the last couple of weeks. And that brings us to perhaps the biggest reason: free publicity.

The media has been falling all over themselves covering Palin as she has re-emerged from her Facebook-only conversations with her adoring fans. She has a favorable documentary on her life in Alaska coming out shortly. She has decided to take a bus ride around America in some sort of patriotic pilgramage. Both announcements hint at a possible run, and the pundits love playing "Will-She-Won't-She."

So, what does this all mean?

Not much, but like I said earlier: I'm enjoying this comedy immensely.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Where do I fit in? I already have 8 votes promised. Does that put me in Other?
Lamestreammmm, mumble, mumble

1:23 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

:snicker:

You're in the OTHER party.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Oh, the other OTHER party. Is this a great country or what!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home