Thursday, February 21, 2013

Eighth Blogoversary!

(Graphic snagged from this site.)

Yup, it's the Eighth Anniversary of Cab Drollery, and even I'm surprised at that.  I didn't imagine this joint would be open this long, yet here we are, over 5800 posts later (many of them by Ruth Calvo, who's now with Fire Dog Lake.)

Will I do it for another two years, a whole decade?

Hell, I don't know.  I briefly considered announcing the end today, primarily because I am tired of being disgusted and angry and cynical by all the news I read day in and day out.  I also am noticing a gradual impairment of my cognitive and memory processes.  The old head bone isn't as nimble as it used to be.

But then I ran into a homeless guy I hadn't seen for a while, a man I feared had died.  He had been living in his car, moving it as the cops rousted him, but always parking nearby so I saw him every day.  Sometimes, in the early morning he'd still be asleep.  Other times he'd be working for people in the neighborhood, doing yard work or minor repairs.  Then two days went by when he was still asleep mid-morning.  On the third day, he was gone, but so was his car.

Earlier in the week he showed up at Burger King (who let him do clean-up work each day for his food) to announce he had finally saved up enough  money to rent a room in San Gabriel.  He just dropped by to see how all his friends were doing.  I had a hard time hiding my tears and a couple of regulars kidded me about that.

It dawned on me that this guy kept plugging along against incredibly long odds.  The lesson struck a deep chord within me.

So I will continue for at least a while longer to churn out some electrons.  I may lighten up a bit more, maybe with more good news, maybe with book reviews not involving politics.  We'll see.

I hope you'll keep dropping by.  If you feel so inclined, you can encourage me.  Donations are always a sign of encouragement, but so are comments.

And, thanks.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Feral said...

Happy Anniversary, Diane. And Many More!

4:15 AM  
Blogger Conni said...

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for all you do!

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on keeping on!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Meryl Baer said...

Happy anniversary and keep the posts coming.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

Congratulations. Well done!

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet story! **sniff**

Thanks for paying attention to stuff, even when it makes you crazy :)

Happy B'versary!

XOXO
V4V

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home