Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I Just Don't Get It

(Cartoon by Lee Judge, published 4/15/14 by the Kansas City Star and featured at McClatchy DC.  Click on image to enlarge.)

I'm serious:  I just don't get it.  I don't get how, during the holiest week in the Christian calendar and on the eve of one of the holiest days in the Jewish calendar, some dude decides to be the new Hitler.  Or something.

From the LA Times:

The elderly man was well known in this slightly faded farm town for his failed attempts at elective office, his libertarian leanings, his Southern charm.

But Frazier Glenn Cross, 73, who also went by the name of Frazier Glenn Miller Jr., was known even more for his white supremacist beliefs that led him to try to incite a race war, pepper local papers with anti-immigrant letters and get into a shouting match with a Jewish student at Missouri State University.

Police arrested Cross on Sunday on suspicion of shooting and killing a 14-year-old Boy Scout and his grandfather at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City in Overland Park, Kan., and a woman at a nearby Jewish assisted living center. ...

Sunday would have been Franklin's 64th birthday. And Monday was Passover, one of the best known Jewish holidays.

Little is known about Cross' alleged motives, but Beirich posited that the avowed racist and author of a memoir called "A White Man Speaks Out" "has got emphysema, and this is a twisted, white supremacist bucket list."   [Emphasis added]

As some of you know, I have emphysema (actually, COPD) and congestive heart failure and the hospice people who pay for some of my drugs and I both know that my time is greatly foreshortened.  For me, it's not a matter of years but (at best) a matter of months. 

I can't envision facing my maker with the blood of another on my hands.  Rather, I've been working hard to show love, not hatred, especially to those here in the Cuckoo's Nest who also are living out their last days even when I disagree with their politics and their view of humans of a different color, creed, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.

Life is too precious to waste on such garbage, so it's not on my bucket list.

May God have mercy on Mr. Cross.  I'm working hard right now to open my heart to wish that for him.  But I have to.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Marcellina said...

I don't think you need to bother, a god would show mercy on those ask, but this guy seems to be quite happy without it. According to other news sources he has been talking for years about how all Jews need to be killed.

We humans carry aggressions in us, something that is just part of our nature, which in civilized society sometimes comes out in odd ways. Especially with in men. However, this is just way off the deep end.

I do wonder if his mind was going, or he was just getting lazy or what. Someone who forms organizations and is so well known in white-supremacy groups as a leader of sorts, goes and shoots down a couple of random people who were -near- Jewish organizations? Very sloppy, even for white supremacists.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Marcellina said...

Also: the timing probably has less to do with Easter and Passover, and more to do with Hitler's birthday and other "memorable" dates in neo-nazi history.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home