Thursday, July 07, 2005

Grief

I have always tried to maintain a sunny optimism, usually with some success. I don't have much of that optimism today.

I grieve for the people of London. The horror of this morning's attacks on the 'just folks' going to work, engaged in their day-to-day, has left me feeling shattered and heartbroken.

I remember vividly how I felt 9/11/01 and the days after: frightened, outraged, soul-sick. I also remember vividly the Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace when the Star Spangled Banner was played as the American Ambassador stood solemnly, his face a study in grief, and at that moment I felt the load I was carrying lighten. I could finally cry.

Today, Great Britain was struck by criminals and the casualty count continues to climb. When the grieving abates somewhat, I hope (and pray) that the world shows more sense than the American government showed after 9/11 and unites to get at the roots of this so-called war.

In the meantime, the most I can do is grieve for my sisters and brothers in London, in Afghanistan, and in Iraq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home