Monday, January 17, 2011

Extreme Gratitude

Thank you.

That looks pretty weak for the way I feel right now: the generous outpouring of support, both financial and emotional, was incredible. While I expected some financial support and sympathy, I didn't dream of the extent of both that would come pouring my way from friends, acquaintances, and strangers.

I expected having to go to some friends to borrow a huge chunk of the $2,000 I need to hand to my landlord tomorrow when the banks open. That won't be necessary. I received well over $2,000 from over a hundred donors. I will be able to pacify the landlord and pay the utility bills and feed me and the cats the rest of the month and pay next month's rent.

Heh. And I'll be able to pay for a certified copy of my birth certificate so that I can file for early Social Security, which should ease things immensely once that benefit kicks in.

So, thanks to all of you: those who are in pretty much the straits I'm in and couldn't kick in cash but who wanted to let me know that they were pulling for me; those who spread the word by posting a comment in each thread at Eschaton on Saturday linking to my request for help; those who gave me some badly needed advice on landlord-tenant law and the vagaries of PayPal; those who posted a link on their own blogs and those with keys who posted links on Eschaton; and those who donated via PayPal.

Oh, and one more thing: not everyone who donated agreed with my political views. I got donations from conservatives (some from other countries) and from people who considered my politics somewhat right-of-center.

This whole episode taught me many things, among them the fact that I'm not a good money manager and that I wait until things reach a crisis point before taking positive steps. The biggest lesson, however, is that most people are decent and caring at least some of the time. That gives me hope, something I've been lacking for a while.

So, again: thank you.

Substantive blogging will return tomorrow.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

social security won't help you much when Obama's catfood commission comes down the pike.

4:48 AM  
Anonymous ms f said...

Love you, Diane.


I'm sorry so many are filled with hate, they are so different from you, who gives so much. Thank you.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Kate in Watertown said...

Starting at this moment, I hereby pledge not to feed the trolls.

Best to you, Diane. It warms my heart to see this outpouring of support from those who appreciate what you do, who you are, and even from some who may see things differently but know what "charity" and "empathy" mean.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Hecate said...

Sending light and love your way.

10:00 AM  
Blogger StatsGrandma's Office Hours said...

We truly are a community, and there are good people everywhere. I would have been lost without our community.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ur welcome.

Naow. Settle down. Do ur sums. Calculate what there is and what there isn't.

It's the only way to triumph against the darkness - knowledge is the only real power.

Oh yes - and keep ur findgers crossed that I get one of these out of town gigs, 'cause if I do, u can borrow my house for as long as u need.

/GWPDA

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If that link to the Unlawful Detainer course for Judges Pro Tem helped, and I hope it did, I'm glad I could contribute something. Since you are an attorney, (and could understand it) it should have told you most of what you needed to know, and citations to relevant case law in CA.

Now relax and take a few deep breaths.

:)

Quirk

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad to see that you've staved off the wolf a while. I followed Thers' link, for what it's worth, and got here a little late to the party, but my little bit can go to useful odds and ends. Interesting comments below your inital plea. Sad to see the glee and venom that come from others' troubles. Anyway, hope that things are now stabilized. Don't forget the old saying - hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Too many of us forget to take that seriously..

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Rachael said...

I caught this after my last post. Soooo glad you're gonna be ok!

warm regards,

10:40 AM  
Blogger Gary Farber said...

"Substantive blogging will return tomorrow."

I'm trying to work on that theory, myself.

Except for the "tomorrow" part.

"Real Soon Now" is realistically all I'm hoping for.

That's been mostly what I've been doing for a bunch of years.

But it happens. It may happen again.

Tomorrow is always another day.

I'm extremely glad yours appears brighter.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

I was glad to be able to help. It's gratifying to help solve an *easy* problem and I hope this carries you through till the SS payments kick in.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome, glad to help in DC

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my case, it was because you liked Charles de Lint!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Gary Farber said...

Charles de Lint is a brilliant and fantastic writer!

Particularly recommend The Little Country.

But in general, as well!

I actually have some credentials to speak on sf. :-)

For one thing, I helped acquire TLC for SFBC during my years of freelance consulting for Ellen Asher at Doubleday Book and Music Clubs. That's "Science Fiction Book Club."

Toodles!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home