Friday, October 13, 2006

Being a Single Woman

As Diane is such a terrific hostess, I am going to pass on to you one of the experiences single women get to enjoy.

I have been asking for their thoughts about various cars for some few weeks, trying to buy a new car. I have owned a now 14-year-old Nissan Maxima with great performance that I bought from an attorney I worked with, knowing how conscientious he was, that it would have been cared for beyond its fondest dreams. But it needed oil leaks fixed, and it would still be 14 so I went car shopping. Got a bunch of quotes, a bunch of ideas, put them up at Eschaton and got lots of info. Among which, that a 2002 PT Cruiser has a 2-not 4 {cylinder?} engine.

Bought the 2003 Honda Civic LX which required prying loose more $$ than I wanted to, and pro'ly will regret I didn't go ahead and put together enuff for a new one - but know the price of gas will skyrocket after Nov. 7. When good luck on getting a Honda at all.

So today at work I got a call from the dealership I bought from informing me I had underpaid by $1000. Too much detail to go into, but when I signed their agreement I made the reservation that first my son had to pass on the deal. And when he got back to me, my son absolutely insisted that if I'm trading the older car in, which is meticulous, they're underpaying for me about $1K. I cannot pay more than $X. So the next a.m. I told the salesman can no do, use the kid as excuse, gotta have $1K off or bybye. So he got right back to me and said yes. Now they are on the phone saying I've underpaid by $1K. So I went over and explained again the situation. Am adamant and not understanding altho the 'manager' says he can't lose $1K on his car. To which I reply that he's getting more than it's worth.

I get out with what I came in with, our agreement, my car. Did they expect me to cave? Get confused??? what ??? anyway, the salesman tells me I can bring it in "under the radar" and he will make sure that the repair shop will make the front door lock work, which it doesn't. The key won't turn.

All women are supposed to be dimwitted. Sorry to disappoint.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cabearie,

We hear stories like yours all the time over at the Ask Patty blog http://askpatty.typepad.com - Post a question to our panel of 22 automotive expert women and see what advice they have for your situation!

We even offer dealerships 'female friendly' certification and training, many dealerships across the country are signing up with us so there is hope!

Jody DeVere
President
www.askpatty.com
Automotive Advice for Women by Women

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you, I just saw your announcement, and appreciate it.

It was quite a strange experience. Do you think they expected me to give them another $1K, or what?

Ruth who was guest hosting here, and has kindly been invited back. WooHoo.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home